10-Day Methodist Heritage Tour | England
Bristol | Bath | Oxford | Stratford | Chester | Lincoln | Cambridge | London
This program includes the following venues:
- Sunday Service at Victoria Methodist Church in Bristol
- Concert at Bishopston Methodist Church in Bristol
- Lunchtime Concert at the New Room in Bristol
- Formal Concert at Wesley Methodist Church in Chester
- Lunchtime Recital at Wesley Memorial Church in Lincoln
- Lunchtime Recital or Evensong at St. Paul’s Cathedral
All concert venues, Sung Masses and performances are subject to confirmation. This itinerary can be customized or modified to include additional venues for choirs and performance groups as well as daily liturgies for pilgrimages.
- Day 1 | Friday | Depart for England
- Day 2 | Saturday | London | Salisbury | Bristol
- ‘How do you do?’ Welcome to Great Britain. Drive from London through the Royal Berkshire, across the sweeping Salisbury Plain. Pass Stohehenge and visit Avebury Stone Circle en route to Bristol.
- Day 3 | Sunday | Bath | Evening Concert
- Attend Sunday service at Victoria Methodist Church. Guided tour of Bath includes Hanham Mount where Wesley preached. Evening Concert at Bishopston Methodist Church.
- Day 4 | Monday | Bristol | Blenheim Palace | Oxford
- Orientation tour of Bristol includes visit to John Wesley’s house and chapel. Lunchtime Concert at the New Room in Bristol. Visit Blenheim Palace and Lincoln College and other Wesleyan associated sites. Continue to Oxford.
- Day 5 | Tuesday | Witney | Stratford
- Drive through The Cotswolds to Witney. See the Church Green where Wesley preached. Tour Stratford-upon-Avon, the town of Shakespeare. Walking tour of Cambridge includes home of famous Kings College Choir. Attend Evensong at Kings College Chapel.
- Day 6 | Wednesday | Chester | Evening Concert
- Scenic drive through Welsh country with an abundance of pretty villages, market towns and medieval castles. Sightseeing includes Chester Cathedral. Formal Evening Concert at Wesley Methodist Church.
- Day 7 | Thursday | Gainsborough | Epworth | Lincoln
- Wesleyan sites include the Old Hall in Gainsborough, meeting place of early dissenters, later known as pilgrim fathers. In Epworth, birthplace of John and Charles Wesley, present a lunchtime Recital at Wesley Memorial Church. Continue to Lincoln for overnight.
- Day 8 | Friday | Cambridge | London
- Depart for London with a stop in Cambridge. Walking tour includes the Chapel of Kings College, a place of daily worship and home to the famous Kings College Choir.
- Day 9 | Saturday | Highlights of London
- Wesleyan sites include Aldersgate, Wesley’s Chapel, home and gravesite. City sites include House of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square, outside Buckingham Palace and the Mall, and St. Paul's Cathedral. Lunchtime Recital at Westminster Abbey.
- Day 10 | Sunday | Return to the USA