10-Day Choir Tour | Great Britain in the Footsteps of Saint John Henry Newman
Edinburgh | Lindisfarne | York | Lincolnshire | Stratford | Oxford | London
- Concert at St. Giles’ Cathedral in Edinburgh
- Concert at York Minster Cathedral in York
- Sung Mass at the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham
- Sung Mass at the Church of Saints Gregory and Augustine in Oxford
- Concert at Brompton Oratory in London
All concert venues, Sung Masses, and performances are subject to confirmation. This itinerary can be customized or modified to include additional venues for choirs and performance groups, as well as daily liturgies for Roman Catholic groups if so desired.
Customize your itinerary by adding other U.K. cities or an extension to Ireland.
- Day 1 | Depart for Scotland
- Day 2 | Arrive in Edinburgh | Rosslyn Chapel
- Welcome to Edinburgh! Upon arrival, visit Rosslyn Chapel, a 15th-century church in the village of Roslin.
- Day 3 | Highlights of Edinburgh | Lunchtime Concert
- Enjoy a highlight tour of Edinburgh and visit St. Giles’ Cathedral. Present a lunchtime concert at St. Giles’ Cathedral. Take a guided tour of Edinburgh Castle, Holyrood Abbey, and the Palace of Holyroodhouse.
- Day 4 | Lindisfarne | Durham | York
- Depart Edinburgh for the Holy Island of Lindisfarne, where the Christian message flourished through the efforts of St. Aidan and St. Cuthbert, and visit Lindisfarne Priory. Proceed to Durham and see the Norman Cathedral. Continue to York.
- Day 5 | York | Lunchtime Concert | Walsingham | Cambridge
- Take a walking tour of York, including York Minster Cathedral. Present a lunchtime concert at York Minister Cathedral. Continue to England’s Anglican and Catholic Marian Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham. Visit the “Holy House” and the Slipper Chapel. Sung Mass at the shrine. Continue to Cambridge.
- Day 6 | Cambridge | Stratford | Oxford
- Tour the Church of Our Lady and the English Martyrs, commemorating the Catholic martyrs executed in England between 1535 and 1681. Enjoy a walking tour of Cambridge, one of the oldest universities in the world. Visit Stratford-upon-Avon, home of William Shakespeare. Journey through the picturesque rolling hills of the Cotswolds to Oxford.
- Day 7 | Wolvercote Cemetery | Oxford
- Visit Wolvercote Cemetery, the final resting place of J.R.R. Tolkien. Sung Mass at the Church of Saints Gregory and Augustine. Enjoy a highlight tour of Oxford, visiting the grave of C.S. Lewis at Holy Trinity Church, St. Bede’s Hall, Trinity College, Christ Church Cathedral, and St. Clement’s Church. Stop in Littlemore, where Saint John Henry Newman lived for four years. Free afternoon to explore Oxford on your own.
- Day 8 | Windsor | London
- Celebrate Mass at the Oxford Oratory Church of St. Aloysius Gonzaga. Continue to London, with a stop en route to visit Royal Windsor, seeing the town, the royal state apartments, and St. George’s Chapel. Upon arrival in London, visit Westminster Abbey.
- Day 9 | Highlights of London | Lunchtime Concert
- Enjoy a highlight tour of London, including the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Downing Street, Trafalgar Square, Nelson’s Column, Piccadilly Circus, London Eye, and Buckingham Palace. Continue to the Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, known as Brompton Oratory, the second largest Catholic Church in London. Present a lunchtime concert at Brompton Oratory. Visit Tyburn Convent and Shrine, dedicated to the Catholic martyrs of the Reformation. Prayer and reflection at the Altar of the Martyrs. See St. Paul’s Cathedral, the Tower of London, and the Chapel Royal of St. Peter ad Vincula. Farewell dinner at a restaurant near Trafalgar Square.
- Day 10 | Return Home